Next Story
Newszop

Canadian parliament under lockdown after man barricades himself inside

Send Push
Canada’s Parliament was placed under lockdown on Saturday after a man barricaded himself inside the East Block on Parliament Hill, prompting a major security response and warnings for the public to take cover.

Ottawa Police and the Parliamentary Protective Service were called to the scene on Wellington Street, where the East Block houses senators and their staff, shortly before 3 pm local time. The area was evacuated soon after, and a “shelter-in-place” order remained in effect into the evening as heavily armed officers cordoned off the site.


At 2.45 pm, the Parliamentary Protective Service issued an emergency alert urging those inside to “seek shelter in the nearest room, close and lock all doors and hide,” according to CTV News.

As of Saturday evening, police confirmed there were no known injuries, and said the situation had been contained, New York Post reported. However, the lockdown remained in place as officers continued to treat the incident with the highest level of caution.

“Stay safe Ottawa,” Canadian senator Patrick Brazeau posted on X, sharing a photo of the emergency alert that was issued during the incident.


Law enforcement sources told Global News that, while the immediate threat had been brought under control, authorities were proceeding as though it were a “potential worst-case scenario” to ensure complete security.

Parliament is currently dissolved ahead of a forthcoming federal election, but staff and others were still present in the East Block when the alert was triggered.

Residents were asked to steer clear of the area. Ottawa Police said road closures remained in place on Wellington Street, from Bank Street to Sussex Drive, until further notice.
Loving Newspoint? Download the app now